LCD ID Number: L34961 Status: A-Approved
LCD Title: Mohs Micrographic Surgery (MMS)
Geographic Jurisdiction: New Jersey Other Jurisdictions
Original Determination Effective Date:
Original Determination Ending Date:
Revision Effective Date:
Revision End Date:
CMS National Coverage Policy:
This LCD supplements but does not replace, modify or supersede existing Medicare applicable National Coverage Determinations (NCDs) or payment policy rules and regulations for MMS services. Federal statute and subsequent Medicare regulations regarding provision and payment for medical services are lengthy. They are not repeated in this LCD. Neither Medicare payment policy rules nor this LCD replace, modify or supersede applicable state statutes regarding medical practice or other health practice professions acts, definitions and/or scopes of practice. All providers who report services for Medicare payment must fully understand and follow all existing laws, regulations and rules for Medicare payment for MMS services and must properly submit only valid claims for them. Please review and understand them and apply the medical necessity provisions in the policy within the context of the manual rules. Relevant CMS manual instructions and policies regarding MMS services are found in the following Internet-Only Manuals (IOMs) published on the CMS Web site:
- CMS IOM Publication 100-02, Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, Chapter 16, Section 120 Cosmetic Surgery
- CMS IOM Publication 100-08, Medicare Program Integrity Manual, Chapter 13, Section 13.5.4 Reasonable and Necessary Provision in an LCD
Social Security Act (Title XVIII) Standard References, Sections:
- Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Section 1862(a)(1)(A). This section allows coverage and payment for only those services that are considered to be reasonable and necessary, i.e., reasonable and necessary are those tests used in the diagnosis and management of illness or injury or to improve the function of a malformed body part.
- Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Section 1862(a)(7). This section excludes routine physical examinations.
- Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Section 1862(a)(10). This section excludes Cosmetic Surgery.
- Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Section 1833(e). This section states that no payment shall be made to any provider for any claims that lack the necessary information to process the claim.
Sorry, you need to login or register to view additional sections of this Medicare policy.
All information on this web site is compiled directly from information obtained from the Center
for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and from its Contractors.
CodeMap® has made every reasonable effort to ensure the accuracy of the information contained on
this web site. However, the ultimate responsibility for correct coding and claims submission lies with the
provider of services. CodeMap® makes no representation, warranty, or guarantee that this compilation of Medicare information
is error-free or that the use of this information will result in Medicare coverage and subsequent payment of claims.
Final coverage and payment of claims are subject to many factors exclusively controlled by CMS and its contractors.
No part of this web page or data displayed may be redistibuted or used without the express written consent of Wheaton Partners, LLC.
06/07/2023 02:20:44 22.214.171.124