LCD ID Number: L35049 Status: A-Approved
LCD Title: Monitored Anesthesia Care
Geographic Jurisdiction: District of Columbia Other Jurisdictions
Original Determination Effective Date:
Original Determination Ending Date:
Revision Effective Date:
Revision End Date:
CMS National Coverage Policy:
This LCD supplements but does not replace, modify or supersede existing Medicare applicable National Coverage Determinations (NCDs) or payment policy rules and regulations for monitored anesthesia care services. Federal statute and subsequent Medicare regulations regarding provision and payment for medical services are lengthy. They are not repeated in this LCD. Neither Medicare payment policy rules nor this LCD replace, modify or supersede applicable state statutes regarding medical practice or other health practice professions acts, definitions and/or scopes of practice. All providers who report services for Medicare payment must fully understand and follow all existing laws, regulations and rules for Medicare payment for monitored anesthesia care services and must properly submit only valid claims for them. Please review and understand them and apply the medical necessity provisions in the policy within the context of the manual rules. Relevant CMS manual instructions and policies may be found in the following Internet-Only Manuals (IOMs) published on the CMS Web site:
- CMS IOM Publication 100-04, Medicare Claims Processing Manual, Chapter 12, Section 50 Payment for Anesthesiology Services and Section 140.3 Anesthesia Fee Schedule Payment for Qualified Nonphysician Anesthetists
- CMS IOM Publication 100-08, Medicare Program Integrity Manual, Chapter 13, Section 13.5.4 Reasonable and Necessary Provision in an LCD
Social Security Act (Title XVIII) Standard References:
- Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Section 1833(e) states that no payment shall be made to any provider for any claim that lacks the necessary information to process the claim.
- Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Section 1862(a)(1)(A) states that no Medicare payment shall be made for items or services which are not reasonable and necessary for the diagnosis or treatment of illness or injury.
- Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Section 1862(a)(7). This section excludes routine physical examinations.
Sorry, you need to login or register to view additional sections of this Medicare policy.