LCD ID Number: L33751 Status: A-Approved
LCD Title: Scanning Computerized Ophthalmic Diagnostic Imaging (SCODI)
Geographic Jurisdiction: Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands Other Jurisdictions
Original Determination Effective Date:
Original Determination Ending Date:
Revision Effective Date:
Revision End Date:
CMS National Coverage Policy:
This LCD supplements but does not replace, modify or supersede existing Medicare applicable National Coverage Determinations (NCDs) or payment policy rules and regulations for scanning computerized ophthalmic diagnostic imaging (SCODI). Federal statute and subsequent Medicare regulations regarding provision and payment for medical services are lengthy. They are not repeated in this LCD. Neither Medicare payment policy rules nor this LCD replace, modify or supersede applicable state statutes regarding medical practice or other health practice professions acts, definitions and/or scopes of practice. All providers who report services for Medicare payment must fully understand and follow all existing laws, regulations and rules for Medicare payment for SCODI and must properly submit only valid claims for them. Please review and understand them and apply the medical necessity provisions in the policy within the context of the manual rules. Relevant CMS manual instructions and policies may be found in the following Internet-Only Manuals (IOMs) published on the CMS Web site:
Internet Only Manual (IOM) Citations
- CMS IOM Publication 100-03, Medicare National Coverage Determinations (NCD) Manual,
- Chapter 1, Part 1, Section 80.2 Photodynamic Therapy (OPT), 80.2.1 Ocular Photodynamic Therapy (OPT), 80.3 Photosensitive Drugs, 80.3.1 Verteporfin, 80.6 Intraocular Photography, 80.9 Computer Enhanced Perimetry
- Chapter 1, Part 2, Section 140.5 Laser Procedures
- Chapter 1, Part 4, Section 220.1 Computed Tomography (CT)
- CMS IOM Publication 100-08, Medicare Program Integrity Manual,
- Chapter 13, Section 13.5.4 Reasonable and Necessary Provision in an LCD
Social Security Act (Title XVIII) Standard References:
- Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Section 1862(a)(1)(A) states that no Medicare payment may be made for items or services which are not reasonable and necessary for the diagnosis or treatment of illness or injury.
- Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Section 1862(a)(7). This section excludes routine physical examinations.
Sorry, you need to login or register to view additional sections of this Medicare policy.