LCD ID Number: L37475 Status: A-Approved
LCD Title: Frequency of Hemodialysis
Geographic Jurisdiction: New Hampshire Other Jurisdictions
Original Determination Effective Date:
Original Determination Ending Date:
Revision Effective Date:
Revision End Date:
CMS National Coverage Policy:
This LCD supplements but does not replace, modify or supersede existing Medicare applicable National Coverage Determinations (NCDs) or payment policy rules and regulations for additional hemodialysis sessions. Federal statute and subsequent Medicare regulations regarding provision and payment for medical services are lengthy. They are not repeated in this LCD. Neither Medicare payment policy rules nor this LCD replace, modify or supersede applicable state statutes regarding medical practice or other health practice professions acts, definitions and/or scopes of practice. All providers who report services for Medicare payment must fully understand and follow all existing laws, regulations and rules for Medicare payment for additional hemodialysis sessions and must properly submit only valid claims for them. Please review and understand them and apply the medical necessity provisions in the policy within the context of the manual rules. Relevant CMS manual instructions and policies may be found in the following Internet-Only Manuals (IOMs) published on the CMS Web site:
- CMS IOM Publication 100-01, Medicare General Information, Eligibility, and Entitlement Manual
- Chapter 1, Section 10: General Program Benefits.
- Chapter 2, Section 10: Hospital Insurance Entitlement.
- CMS IOM Publication 100-02, Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, Chapter 11, End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD).
- CMS IOM Publication 100-03, Medicare National Coverage Determination
- Part 2, Section 110.10: Intravenous Iron Therapy; Section 110.15: Ultrafiltration, Hemoperfusion, Hemofiltration.
- Part 4, Section 260.6: Dental Exam prior to Kidney Transplantation.
- CMS IOM Publication 100-04, Medicare Claims Processing Manual, Chapter 8: Outpatient ESRD Hospital, Independent Facility, and Physician/Supplier Claims, all sections including Section 140 Monthly Capitation Payment Method for Physicians’ Services Furnished to Patients on Maintenance Dialysis.
- CMS IOM Publication 100-05, Medicare Secondary Payer Manual, Chapter 2, Section 20: Medicare Secondary Payer Provisions for End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Beneficiaries.
- CMS IOM Publication 100-08, Medicare Program Integrity Manual, Chapter 13, Section 13.5.4 Reasonable and Necessary Provision in an LCD.
Change Request References:
- Change Request 5039, Transmittal 1084, October 27, 2006: Line Item Billing Requirement for Type of Bill 72X.
- Change Request 9989, Transmittal 1849, May 12, 2017: Implementation of Modifier CG for Type of Bill 72X.
- Change Request 10901, Local Coverage Determinations (LCD)
Social Security Act (Title XVIII) Standard References:
- Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Section 1862(a)(1)(A) states that no Medicare payment shall be made for items or services which are not reasonable and necessary for the diagnosis or treatment of illness or injury.
- Title XVIII of the Social Security Act, Section 1833(e) states that no payment shall be made to any provider for any claim that lacks the necessary information to process the claim.
Federal Register References:
42 CFR, Chapter IV, Subchapter G, Part 494, Subpart C,
CMS Final Rule CMS-1651-F published November 4, 2016.
Note: Italicized font represents CMS national NCD language/wording copied directly from CMS Manuals or CMS Transmittals. Contractors are prohibited from changing national NCD language/wording.
Sorry, you need to login or register to view additional sections of this Medicare policy.
All information on this web site is compiled directly from information obtained from the Center
for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and from its Contractors.
CodeMap® has made every reasonable effort to ensure the accuracy of the information contained on
this web site. However, the ultimate responsibility for correct coding and claims submission lies with the
provider of services. CodeMap® makes no representation, warranty, or guarantee that this compilation of Medicare information
is error-free or that the use of this information will result in Medicare coverage and subsequent payment of claims.
Final coverage and payment of claims are subject to many factors exclusively controlled by CMS and its contractors.
No part of this web page or data displayed may be redistibuted or used without the express written consent of Wheaton Partners, LLC.
02/08/2023 06:45:04 188.8.131.52